Thursday, December 29, 2011

Baby Steps

Well, I finally did it. I completed the Prologue to my Tam Lin retelling, which means I am one step closer to completion. My thesis was completed many months ago and earned a grade of A, but I am continuing with this story because it has grown large enough to be a substantial work.


The Prologue itself can stand alone, and so I have submitted it, along with two other small works, to Collage: A Journal of Creative Expression at Middle Tennessee State University. I was on staff with Collage for a full year, one semester as the Fiction Editor, and the next semester as the Assistant Literature Editor. I even wrote and co-wrote two editorial pieces for the issues I worked on, and those two issues have won awards from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association (no word yet which awards, that will be revealed in March at their annual convention).

The wonderful thing about Collage is that it a journal purely of student submissions in art, photography, poetry, and prose. A blind grading process selects the top twenty to forty in each main category (Visual Art/Literary Art) and the staff chooses multiple submissions in each sub-category to include in that semester's issue. Alumni are allowed and even encouraged to submit, and I am very grateful for this. I have not yet been published, though this is only my second time submitting, and last time I only submitted one item.

I won't know until about March or April if any of my work was chosen. Fingers crossed!

In the meantime I suppose I'll keep looking for a job. XD

No comments:

Post a Comment