Monday, July 8, 2013

Jamming, Sweating, Plotting

What's that? Sweat? Wouldn't it get the pages wrinkly, or ruin the device?

Where I live in Colorado Springs is a particularly fruitful location. Our house is at the bottom of a small hill, atop of which is a park. My husband plotted out a 2 mile walking path several months ago, and that's the route I take, which follows a trail through that park, and the tiny one adjacent to it. I don't know that I would even call them parks. Rather, they are more like extended trail space.

For me, movement equals brain function. More precisely, walking helps me with plot points. With the right song, enough leg movement, and plenty of zoning out, scenes start to appear in my head. I also discovered a side benefit to this, which is that I get a little more tan every time. Can't beat working on three things at once, only one of which uses dedicated brain power. Throughout our trail, there are also benches with perfect views of the mountains, great for sitting for a spell and jotting down notes.

Lately, with all the projects swirling in my mind, I've been thinking I may need to plot out a longer walking path, more like 5 miles. It seems like I'm home too soon, my thinking not quite complete, but my skin is red enough, and my water gone. Clearly I need better sunscreen and a bigger bottle.

As for the music I'm listening to, every project I'm working on has a particular song from the Deftones that inspires me. These songs have the feel and tone that I'm looking for in my writing: "Tempest," "Beware," and "Change (In the House of Flies)".

Anyway, I'm red and sweaty, so I'll call this one done and move on to writing fiction!

No comments:

Post a Comment